Monday, May 19

You Can Eat Healthy on a Budget

I often hear people complain about how eating healthy foods costs more than eating junk - but this doesn't have to be true. Below you will find a few tips that I have learned & applied when I go grocery shopping, which help me to keep my bill low.

  1. Always shop on the perimeter of the grocery store - this is where most of the fresh, healthy products are located
  2. When shopping for produce, choose fruits and vegetables that are in season. For example, this time of year go for fresh berries. You can buy them in bulk now and freeze them for use later in the year when the prices will increase.
  3. Substitute canned/frozen fruits & veggies for fresh when it is more economical. Tomatoes are usually a lot cheaper in the can than they are when purchased fresh. And don't think that canned and frozen veggies & fruits are less nutritious than their fresh counterparts - canning and freezing is done at their peak, so more nutrients are locked in. Just remember to choose no salt added products & add your own salt if you need it.
  4. Buy meats in bulk. When you get home, take the time to portion out your meats into zip lock baggies & then store what you won't use right away in the freezer. You can also bulk up ground meats by adding beans, which are very affordable.
  5. My local grocery store has a bulk foods section, where I can buy whole grains, trail mix and granola for a very reasonable price. I get steel cut oats for under $1.00/lb - much cheaper than buying a packaged version from the oatmeal aisle.
Next time you go shopping, try out these 5 tips and see if you can save yourself some dough. One last piece of advice - be sure to check your cupboards before you make that shopping trip. One study showed that the average family wastes $600/yr on food that spoils. I plan out my meals for the week so I'm always sure that I will only buy what I need & will use.

2 comments:

j3nn.net said...

I'm guilty of being extremely wasteful with food that I never eat or finish. Last year there was a community food drive in our neighborhood. Now that we moved back to NY, I think once a month I am going to clean the cupboards and donate anything I can to the local food banks. I hate wasting food and I've been trying to only buy what we're going to eat, but it's hard! And I'm weak lol. :(

icee said...

Oh I can be so bad at wasting food. And sadly it's usually fresh veggies that get lost in the crisper. I'm getting better though.

My favorite tip is stocking up on meats when they are on sale. I don't care if I look like a crazy woman buying 10 packages of chicken breasts. And trimming meats and portioning them out is a huge time saver and anti-waste measure.